Monday 29 September 2014

I must be mad..

2 and a half weeks to go to the Himalayan 100. To say I'm petrified would be the understatement of the Century.  This will be the biggest challenge and the craziest adventure of my life. 

I reckon it'll be up there with surviving peritonitis and 5 major bowel surgeries. Although I guess if I can get through that lot, then maybe I've got a chance with the Himalayan 100. A new concept in how to prepare.. experience a bit of life threatening surgery to toughen you up? not sure if it'll catch on. 

I'm becoming a Himalayan 100 bore (I really am sorry!) and every waking (and sleeping) moment is consumed with thoughts of the not only the race, but the logistics. Actually.. it's all about the logistics. Consider preparing for a 100 mile race, and the distance becomes the last thing on your mind? Well that's where I'm at. 

The logistics of flying to Delhi, then onwards to Bagdogra airport is enough to keep me awake at night, let alone the thought of what will come when we get to the Himalayas. Then there's the visa, the jabs, the altitude training.. oh and did I mention the actually running training?! and not forgetting organising the kids and work back at home whilst I'm away.

The 57 page race booklet arrived from the organisers last week. It includes a baggage flow chart, a long list of essential medical and first aid supplies (I have just purchased a sterile first aid kit including needles and a canula) and a kit list that would make Bear Grylls panic.  And that's without packing all my ileostomy supplies! one thing even Bear Grylls doesn't have to worry about..

I'm beginning to question my sanity if I'm honest. Reading other blogs from previous participants indicates that vomiting, pain, exhaustion, illness and tears are regular features. Good God. What am I letting myself in for?! (Mum I hope you're not reading this). On the flip side, I get to participate in what is considered the most beautiful trail race in the World with views of Everest, Kanchenjunga, Lhotse and Makalu - 4 of the 5 highest peaks on the planet. It'll likely be one of those 'once in a lifetime' experiences and will be worth every bit of pain, lack of sleep and vomit! or at least it better had be. And this is the view that will hopefully make the whole thing worthwhile...



But in the meantime, I've still got plenty of training to do. Holding myself together with a combination of CEP Compression socks, massage from my friend Richard and physio from  the wonderful Michelle Trott and an excessive intake of Quest Immune Biotix vitamins I've got some more long runs to knock out over the next couple of weekends. So far things are going ok (dare I say it!) and without wanting to tempt fate, I'm feeling stronger, fitter and healthier than I have in over 4 years.  But there's still plenty that can go wrong. All it'll take is a calf tweak, a hurty knee or a sore throat or cold to put a spanner in the works. 

The whole thing is exhausting, stressful and beyond scary. And I'm not even there yet! Why do we do this to ourselves?! 

Follow me on twitter @runfitsarah



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful views, certainly. Have you considered just walking it?! Seriously, it sounds a huge and wonderful adventure, and the logistics involved in making it happen will, I'm sure, only add to the sense of achievement. In time. ;-)

    ReplyDelete